Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Arrival


I had seen imagery from The Arrival, a long time ago and I thought it was very interesting. I actually at the time had no idea it was a graphic novel, and thought it was just classified to me almost just a picture book. I was pleasantly surprised to find had no words, as it feels more poetic and means much more personally to the reader. Instead of relying on words to express the story points and plot points, the illustrator had to describe by showing, which we as artist in the visual world strive to do. The story was definitely about a foreigner moving to a new home or country. Seeing this done well is always a pleasure and reading the Arrival was a pleasure as well. The arrival was able to show seasons passing through great imagery, which almost reminded me of the visual elements of 500 days of summer. The stagin is a great way to express story without words, as it automatically helps us relate and feel certain emotions based on what is happening. Forcing the reader to understand and search a little for meaning makes the story all the more engaging and relatable from that perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment